Saturday 16 May 2009

It's Squeaky Bum Time For The Labour Party

Labour MPs Who Cheat On Expenses Will Be Deselected And Barred From Running In The Next General Election

Fuck. This could change the face of the Labour Party and politics in Britain. With The Guardian referring to the expenses bruhaha as a 'constitutional crisis' (I've been dying to use that phrase since lower sixth Government and Politics lessons), this is it. If this was the West Wing and I was Josh Lyman I'd be calling all the principled, small time local politicians I know and urging them to get their butts into the House of Commons. All I can say (and I've deliberately avoided talking about this, as I feel the media - who are the kings of fudging expenses claims - have whipped up the British public's ire despite the fact that no one I've spoken to is actually surprised) is that this could do us all some good. Labour probably wont win the next election, but at least the party will be cleansed of some of the most cynical members of Parliament who care the least about us and our interests. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment